The Silver Mine Samson is the only Upper Harz shaft gaipel that could be preserved in its original condition at the old site. With a complete water wheel system and a wire rope driving art from 1837, it is an internationally recognized mining monument and absolutely worth seeing. From 1521 to 1910, the shaft following the ore aisle “tonlägig” produced silver-containing ores from a depth of up to 810 m. For 300 years, the Oderteich and the Rehberger Graben have been supplying the pit almost continuously with water for energy production.
In the Samson, the last “driving art” of the world can be admired functionally. It still serves the operating personnel of a mine power plant, which generates electrical energy with the Oderteich water at a depth of 130 m and 190 m. The neighbouring Catharina Neufang mine provides a deep insight into mining from bygone times.
The Samsoner Gaipel is also home to a canary museum. The breeding of the “Harzer Roller” was an important part-time occupation for the Upper Harz mountain population. Combine your visit to the Samson mine with a guided tour to the Oderteich and Rehberger Graben.
Am Samson 2
37444 St. Andreasberg
Mon – Sat 8.30 a.m. – 4.00 p.m. (except 24.12./1.1. and single closing days in Nov. and Dec.)
Guided tours daily 11 a.m., 2:30 p.m.