From the noble residence to the museum
The Börde Museum Burg Ummendorf
In 1363, Ummendorf Castle was first mentioned in writing in the land peace certificate of The Magdeburg Archbishop Dietrich. However, the lower floors of the castle tower date back to the second half of the 12th century. Through conversions, the system was always adapted to the requirements of the “residents”. Traces of the defensive system from the late Middle Ages – consisting of defensive walls and corner towers – are still visible today. In the 16th century conversions with stylistic elements of a Renaissance castle. Until 1667, nobles were the lords of the castle in Ummendorf. When the last lord of the castle died without descendants, the office was converted into a domain. From then on, the land and administration were subject to bourgeois tenants until the dissolution of the domain in 1912. Acquired by the municipality in 1919, the castle has housed a school in the southern part since 1924 and the cultural history regional museum of the Magdeburg Börde in the northern part, a landscape with fertile black earth soils. The development of agriculture and rural life are at the heart of the exhibition.
In the interiors, the way of living of the countrymen is staged 200 years ago. Grain processing equipment and machines testify to the importance of the Börde as magdeburg’s granary. The visitor magnet of the house is the outdoor area with agricultural exhibition and the herb garden, which shows over 400 different crops. From the castle courtyard you enter a small show mine, which refers to the history of potash and rock salt mining in the region. The exhibits in the Burghof itself inform about the local rhätsandstein as well as its processing and form another geopark theme of the museum.
Click on the flyer and find out all the details about Ummendorf Castle! ↓