On the grounds of the 1608 by the von Saldern family
The prince-brown swiss colonel DAVID SACHSE had a castle built in the Weser Renaissance style on the pledged property. Duke AUGUST WILHELM VON BRAUNSCHWEIG, who acquired the castle in 1695 while he was still hereditary prince, used it as a summer and hunting residence and later as the widow's residence of his third wife. In 1740, Duke KARL I assigned the estate to the ducal domains. After the First World War, the entire estate fell to the state of Brunswick by decision of the Brunswick State Assembly. The first independently managed state domain was established in Salder in 1920. In 1939, the Reichswerke acquired the castle and all the associated land. The castle became the headquarters of the Großdeutsche Umsiedlungsgesellschaft. Salzgitter-AG, as the successor to the Reichswerke, handed over the castle to the city of Salzgitter on 1 April 1955 for the symbolic purchase price of one mark. The estate was operated until 1968
continued. Since 1962, the castle has housed the Museum of
City of Salzgitter.
The collection includes the 5-metre-long skeleton of an ichthyosaur from the Cretaceous period and huge mammoth tusks as well as bone finds and artefacts from Neanderthals. Interesting facts about the life of the Neanderthals can be learnt in the museum's Ice Age garden. Plants and animals from the grass steppe, a cooking pit and a hide hut take visitors back to the Stone Age. Steel was not only produced in Salzgitter in the 20th century. The Germanic tribes were already smelting iron ore around the birth of Christ, as the remains of the exhibited furnace from a Germanic settlement near Lobmachtersen show. Evidence of monasteries and castles bring the medieval history of the Salzgitter region back to life in the museum. Geopoint 2, Lichtenberg Castle, can be reached via the museum and Mindener
road to the end of the village, then continue on the K 40 to
Lichtenberg. Here you follow the Burgbergstraße to the
Edge of the forest, a small tarmac path on the right leads to the castle.
Click here and find out all the details about the Salder Castle landmark
On the grounds of the 1608 by the von Saldern family
The prince-brown swiss colonel DAVID SACHSE had a castle built in the Weser Renaissance style on the pledged property. Duke AUGUST WILHELM VON BRAUNSCHWEIG, who acquired the castle in 1695 while he was still hereditary prince, used it as a summer and hunting residence and later as the widow's residence of his third wife. In 1740, Duke KARL I assigned the estate to the ducal domains. After the First World War, the entire estate fell to the state of Brunswick by decision of the Brunswick State Assembly. The first independently managed state domain was established in Salder in 1920. In 1939, the Reichswerke acquired the castle and all the associated land. The castle became the headquarters of the Großdeutsche Umsiedlungsgesellschaft. Salzgitter-AG, as the successor to the Reichswerke, handed over the castle to the city of Salzgitter on 1 April 1955 for the symbolic purchase price of one mark. The estate was operated until 1968
continued. Since 1962, the castle has housed the Museum of
City of Salzgitter.
The collection includes the 5-metre-long skeleton of an ichthyosaur from the Cretaceous period and huge mammoth tusks as well as bone finds and artefacts from Neanderthals. Interesting facts about the life of the Neanderthals can be learnt in the museum's Ice Age garden. Plants and animals from the grass steppe, a cooking pit and a hide hut take visitors back to the Stone Age. Steel was not only produced in Salzgitter in the 20th century. The Germanic tribes were already smelting iron ore around the birth of Christ, as the remains of the exhibited furnace from a Germanic settlement near Lobmachtersen show. Evidence of monasteries and castles bring the medieval history of the Salzgitter region back to life in the museum. Geopoint 2, Lichtenberg Castle, can be reached via the museum and Mindener
road to the end of the village, then continue on the K 40 to
Lichtenberg. Here you follow the Burgbergstraße to the
Edge of the forest, a small tarmac path on the right leads to the castle.
Click here and find out all the details about the Salder Castle landmark
On the site of the property pledged by the von Saldern family in 1608, the princely Brunswick colonel DAVID SACHSE had a palace built in the Weser Renaissance style. Duke AUGUST WILHELM VON BRAUNSCHWEIG, who acquired the castle in 1695 while he was still hereditary prince, used it as a summer and hunting residence and later as the widow's residence of his third wife. In 1740, Duke KARL I assigned the estate to the ducal domains. After the First World War, the entire property fell to the state of Brunswick by decision of the Brunswick State Assembly. The first independently managed state domain was established in Salder in 1920. In 1939, the Reichswerke acquired the castle and all the associated land. The castle became the headquarters of the Großdeutsche Umsiedlungsgesellschaft. Salzgitter-AG, as the successor to the Reichswerke, handed over the castle to the city of Salzgitter on 1 April 1955 for the symbolic purchase price of one mark. The estate continued to be run until 1968. Since 1962, the castle has housed the Museum of the City of Salzgitter.
The collection includes the 5-metre-long skeleton of an ichthyosaur from the Cretaceous period and huge mammoth tusks as well as bone finds and artefacts from Neanderthals. Interesting facts about the life of the Neanderthals can be learnt in the museum's Ice Age Garden. Plants and animals from the grass steppe, a cooking pit and a hide hut take visitors back to the Stone Age. Steel was not only produced in Salzgitter in the 20th century. The Germanic tribes were already smelting iron ore around the birth of Christ, as the remains of the exhibited furnace from a Germanic settlement near Lobmachtersen show. Evidence of monasteries and castles bring the medieval history of the Salzgitter region back to life in the museum. To reach Geopoint 2, Lichtenberg Castle, take Museumstrasse and Mindener Strasse to the end of the town, then continue on the K 40 to Lichtenberg. Here you follow Burgbergstraße to the edge of the forest, where a small tarmac path on the right leads to the castle.
Click here and find out all the details about the Salder Castle landmark
© 2020 Geopark Harz . Braunschweig Land . Eastphalia
